UPDATE (9/24/2022): Due to an unprecedented level of interest in one of our maintenance courses, I’m afraid that to avoid our needing to turn away / defer more applicants, we are closing the Fall, 2022 application early.
Apologies for any trouble – please stay tuned for the next course.
We are delighted to open up applications for our bi-annual maintenance course. Please read the information and submit an application at the link below if you’d like to take part.
Common Cycle’s maintenance courses are intended to help train current and future volunteers and community members by providing hands-on experience and general knowledge about fixing bicycles and assisting people who come to our bicycle co-op.
Common Cycle’s Fall 2022 Maintenance Course will be held on Mondays from 6:30-8:30 pm, beginning October 10th, and run for 6 consecutive weeks, concluding on November 14th, 2022. There will be an optional 7th session on November 21st. Classes will be held at Common Cycle, located at 416 W Huron St Suite #11, Ann Arbor, MI 48103. We cover a range of repairs and maintenance from basic (e.g. tube change, brake adjustment) to advanced (e.g. hub overhaul, wheel truing).
- Week 1: October 10, 2022
- Week 2: October 17, 2022
- Week 3: October 24, 2022
- Week 4: October 31, 2022
- Week 5: November 7, 2022
- Week 6: November 14, 2022
- Optional Week 7 / Open Shop: November 21, 2022
The course has a cap on participants so that everyone will have some time and space to do hands-on work, and current volunteers will be given priority. No knowledge of bike repair is required – just an interest in learning more and helping others.
- Only fully vaccinated and boosted individuals will be accepted into the course (you will be asked to affirm your vaccination status in the application).
- We will follow all state and local guidance related to masking and other public health and safety measures.
Although this is a low/no-cost course, we ask you to respect the large amount of volunteer work that goes into coordinating and teaching the course. Specifically:
- If you are enrolled, we expect you to attend the majority of sessions (4+) or make clear in your application that you will not able to attend all sessions.
- If selected, we expect that participants volunteer at least two times with us over the subsequent 6 months. (These can be while you’re enrolled in the class as a way to complement your work in class!)
Application link: [Closed – 9/24/2022]
Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.